

On Christmas day, my colleague Stuart and I travelled southwest from Glasgow to Ayrshire to be with his family. We had a glorious (and traditional) three/four course Christmas dinner at his sister's home. The food was phenominal and the company superb! I enjoyed meeting his family. They are hospitable and fun! After dinner we gathered in the family room for a wee game and to watch the Christmas edition of the telly program, "The Vicar of Dibley". (This is a hilarious program if you ever get a chance to see an episode.)
The day after Christmas here is called "Boxing Day"--though I can't remember why. Perhaps because its the day you get rid of all the boxes from Christmas? Anyway, in Scotland they have another large meal in the evening--just like on Christmas day. I think we had at least three courses again---wow! We spent this meal at Stuart's Mum's house with some other relatives--such lovely people, all of them.
The next day, we decided to walk off some of the food we had eaten by visiting the village of Alloway--and the home of Robert Burns. It is just a short drive south of their home. So we had a nice wander around, before I caught a train back to Glasgow.

No comments:
Post a Comment