Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Bradford UK...

Saturday…the 24th

…began with a rather eventful train ride to my eventual landing station. I first left Glasgow for Edinburgh in order that I might catch a train down the eastern coast of Scotland and England to York. When I actually boarded the train, all the cars were full, and it was standing room only. This didn’t bother me much because I figured, I am going to be sitting for the next five hours, and having one hour standing will be beneficial. So, the train traveled on. We reached about the forth stop to pick / drop off passengers, and an entire train load full of people boarded our already full train. EEK! Hope everyone else remembered their deodorant! Well, we were packed in like a bunch of sardines, but at least we were all still smiling. When we finally arrived at Haymarket (the first Edinburgh train station), the train was late. With some help from a nice Glaswegian, I was able to vamoose from the train rather quickly…luggage and all. So, up the stairs (2 flights) I ran in order to find out which platform my next train was departing from and whether or not I missed it. The man who was monitoring the ticket gates said my train would depart from platform three. So, I went looking for platform three…only to find that I had just alighted at platform three. EEK! Furthermore, my second train was running late, and I hadn’t missed it yet. Whew! Well, this about ends the excitement for the day with one exception: the display of two disgruntled, irresponsible men on the second train.

the journey was going fine…relaxing, enjoyable, and full of a pleasant view…I was watching the North Sea and the coast…then the conductor came through to check our tickets. The conductor reached one of the lads before he came to me…and the other lad, about six people after me. The first lad said he didn’t have his ‘rail card’ (a travel card gives certain folk, especially students and person over 60 a special discount) with him because he accidentally left it at home—or something like that. This guy (about 23/26) gave the conductor a row and argued that he (the conductor) was insensitive to the young man’s plight. And the young man insisted that he was not paying any fare for his train ride to London because he had a travel card. Well, the conductor insisted that lad produce the rail card or he would have to pay a full fare ticket. The lad still making a seen and fuss, produced his credit card in order to pay the ₤117 GBP fare. (That’s about $235 USD). I felt bad for the conductor, since he was only doing his job and this lad was trying to take advantage of the conductor to cover up his on irresponsibility. After producing my own ticket and having a polite word with the conductor, he moved on through the cabin…that’s when he encountered the second lad…about six people after me.

He sang the same song, just the second verse…and ended up paying the full price fare. Wisely, the conductor left for a moment, and this second lad decided to take the opportunity to furthering the scene by announcing to the cabin that he was a ‘solicitor’ (lawyer) and he was going to take the company to court for being so insensitive, etc. He attempted to get other people to feel sympathetic and perhaps intervene on his behalf…so I merely said aloud: “The man is only doing his job. Unfortunately for you, he is doing it exceptionally well.” Oh, I forgot to mention that neither of these guys bothered to read the fine print concerning their rail card…

After missing my connecting train, I landed on another one and happened to sit across from these younger looking, guys---one whom I guessed to be of African decent and the other perhaps of Turkish decent. The latter of the two was frantically drawing a picture of what looked to be a dog. (Later I discovered it was a pig). Anyway, one thing lead to another…I offered my highlighters (6 different colors) to him for the “second” layer of the image and then I started writing in my journal. He looked up to ask me if I was doing creative writing…I replied “Well, in a manner of speaking…” (although I wasn’t intending to be cheeky)…”Oh”, he says with a particular look…of interest. So, I supplied the rest of the information…I was jotting down an introduction for my sermon…Then he asked, does that mean you’re a pastor or something? “yes…” “wow! At least you’re more approachable than the ones at home…” “oh I said, and where’s that?” “Greece…Greek Orthodox, the priests have really huge beards and special hats…”

Emmanuel and I chatted further about God, religion, and philosophy; his friend Dominic listened in. It was a nice to have such an interesting conversation arise from out of the blue. I was indeed sad our conversation had to end when they departed at Leeds, and I still had a few more stations to go…

Sunday…the 25th

…began with an early start. Carole and I had an early service 9:00 at a little wee church for a small, older congregation of about eight folk. Carole offered the reflection, and I celebrated communion. The service was 31 minutes. :o) Then we gathered in the kitchen for tea and coffee. I was told we were using the saucers that day to be more posh because I was their guest; such a lovely gesture from beautiful and loving people. One of the women I met, Amy, was going to be celebrating her 90th birthday in only six days. She shared with me that she couldn’t believe she was 90 already. :o) I smiled and shared with her that my great aunt just turned 100 in May.

Next, Carole and I were off to the second service in the second church. Again a Methodist parish—she has charge over three and a half in the area…wow! This service was a full on one…this time, Carole led worship and I preached…the scripture for the sermon was Mark 4: 35-41, where Jesus stills the storm. Again we had tea / coffee afterwards and I was surrounded, once again, by lovely and delightful folk.

The afternoon was a bit dreary outside—cloud cover and all with the threat of rain—so we opted for an afternoon in. This was a perfect decision, because it allowed us to watch the England vs. Ecuador match of the World Cup football action.

In the evening, we gathered for a small group bible study with some of the older folk from the second parish I visited. The topic of the evening was however, theories of the Atonement. Oh my…definitely a lot to chew, but the conversation and learning time was well received and enjoyed by all.

Monday…the 26th

Carole & I went for a walk along the Pennine Walk Way in Yorkshire which is in the land of the Bronte’s. (http://www.sherpavan.com/accomm_booking/maps.asp?trail=PW) We journeyed along to "Top Withens", which is an old farmhouse. The farmhouse is said to be the inspiration for "Wuthering Heights". (http://www.bronte-country.com/top-withens.html) Carole & I actually had our morning tea and snacks there...but we were pestered by excessively friendly sheep, who attempted to eat our oranges, flapjacks, and chocolate---and even drink our tea. It that's not enough, the sheep even tried to get into our rucksack! And whoever said sheep were dumb? Well, at least these are conditioned...We had to climb up on part of the house's structure in order to eat in semi-peace. I have pictures!

for more info about the Bronte area: http://www.bronte-country.com/welcome.html

After we walked back through the moors, we had lunch in the village. And I must confess that I had the best nachos I’ve had this side of the pond in that little cafe! I even told the woman who tended to us. :o)

That evening, we ventured out to an event which was to mark the beginning of the 24hours of praying without ceasing by the Methodists in the Area. The campaign to pray without ceasing was a challenge that the denomination received from the younger folk. So, they have taken this challenge seriously. The kickoff was a wonderful concert of Celtic Music and Spirituality by Lizz Babbs and Simeon Wood…http://www.lizbabbs.com/

I ended the night with a quick phone call to my Brother...who turned 28! Happy Birthday Bro!

Tuesday…the 27th

Lizz took me to the train station and even gave me a book of hers to read, and write a review…I am already two chapters in…(Into God's Presence, published by Zondervan) Today, my train ride home---through the western lands was fairly uneventful, with the exception that the air conditioning was not working on the cabin I happened to be booked…so, I was read for fresh air when I landed in Glasgow. :o)

No comments: