Today, Mary Climer arrived for a few days visit (14-19) to this beautiful land. I had already made plans to go to the theatre that night, so…it was only right that Mary joined me and that we were able to experience a Scottish tradition together. You see, we didn’t go to any ‘regular’ sort of theatre…you can do that anywhere, really. We went to see a Panto….a pantomime. Now this is not the kind of theatre that you or I might initially associate with this word…nor the image either, of a ‘mime’ or a person dressed in black with a white painted face. Actually, panto in this land is an opportunity for cross-dressing. Now before your brain runs away with you too far, the only folk who were ‘cross-dressing’ in the panto we went to were the ugly step sisters! Yes, that’s right. We watched a panto Cinderella! It was great! The actors/esses were amazing! And the costumes were phenomenal. This theatre event is not just for cross-dressing, it is for audience participation. I have never yelled so loud from my seat (unless at a sporting event) and certainly not to tell Buttons (cinderella’s friend) that a spider was near him. LOL…If you could have seen Mary and I, you too would have had a good laugh. Anyway, I am elated for two reasons: 1) Mary came to visit and 2) I had the privilege of experiencing this cheesy and hilarious Scottish tradition while simultaneously experiencing great theatre! (I often wonder if I missed my calling…it would have been fun to perform in the musical…oh well.)
No comments:
Post a Comment