Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Busy Weekend

This was an extremely full weekend and then some! Wow! On Saturday, the Iona Residents (workers for this season) arrived in Glasgow for some on-site training and various kinds of meetings. I had the distinct privilege of serving them in ministry by helping with the cooking. I had previously never cooked for more than 12 people…so, 25-35 depending on the meal was a different adventure all together. And I must say, that I have a new appreciation for people who spend all day and every day in the kitchen whether on the island or in some restaurant. Still, I was grateful to have had the chance to give back to these beautiful people who I have come to know and love over the past season (june-oct) and to give to the new ones.

Plus, I had the chance to be a sou-chef under an experienced chef, David. I spent most of the time getting the messages—Scottish for doing the shopping or running to the nearest market for this or that vegetable, ingredient, or pastry. Plus, I could feel confident in doing the dishes because there is nothing to ‘mess up.’ (he he…just unmess…) I had not met David officially prior to this event, so I had some good solid time to get to know him. He is a painter (acrylics/oils on canvas mostly) who works on the island of Iona during the tourist season.

On Sunday afternoon, I journeyed with the residents on a pilgrimage throughout Glasgow. The journey was informative and stirring. I learned about much of the history of Glasgow as an industrial city and the poverty which remains. Until just a few weeks ago before China surpassed Britain, Britain was the fourth largest economy in the world. Glasgow is the third largest city in Britain, and it is the poorest. A stone slab is present in George Square, in the centre of Glasgow, to serve as a reminder of all the people who have died because of poverty---preventable poverty. In fact, more people have died in the city of Glasgow because of preventable poverty than in all the wars. (I didn’t write down the numbers) Friends, we are all tied up in this economy and the issues of poverty…let’s work together to help MAKE POVERTY HISTORY.

Sunday early evening, I left the pilgrimage group before they were finished to help with the preparations and setup of the next Holy City event. This night, our theme was “Seventy times Seven”. Our workshops were focused on forgiveness, prisons, “ASBO’s” (anti-social behavior orders---a new thing for various behaviors…thanks to Tony Blair, more about that some other time), personal testimonies of working with young offenders, and how music can be used to promote reconciliation (film: Amandala!: the story of South Africa). Again, the evening was a moving event to help each of us be mindful of forgiveness, reconciliation, and especially relationships.

I learn so much helping to prepare these events and having the chance to participate in them.