Monday, July 24, 2006

Not much longer...

less than 25 hours now
before my train leaves from Glasgow to take me to London and then I'll be catching a plane to Tel Aviv.

I have spent hours watching the news and even time reading various newspapers and other articles, books, etc. about life in Israel / Palestine and the various ongoing conflicts. I have no fear or anxiety about this trip, despite or even inspite of the news. In fact, the more I read, the more my nephesh (Hebrew for soul, heart, mind, will...) is at peace. I can only hope and pray that those of you who are worried for me would be comforted by the words of Jesus.

Jesus says:

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. ...Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. (John 14:27)

Well, that's me for now. Below you will find my itinerary.

Jamie

____________________________

Tuesday, July 25 (evening) – Thursday, July 27
JERUSALEM, Maison D'Abraham, Mount of Olives
Opening worship service, introduction and orientation
Tour of holy sites in the Old City
Reflections at the Church of the Resurrection (Holy Sepulchre)
Lecture & discussion: the current situation in Jerusalem
Sabeel's Contemporary Way of the Cross

Thursday, July 27 – Friday, July 28
BETHLEHEM AREA, Melkite Convent, Beit Sahour
Tour of the Church of Nativity
Service projects for Christian families
Lecture & discussion: the current situation in Beit Sahour, Beit Jala, & Bethlehem
Barbecue & cultural activity - Palestinian Dabka
Music festival

Saturday, July 29
HEBRON
Meet with Christian Peacemaker Teams and the Hebron Rehabilitation Commitee
Tour of the Old City of Hebron
Presentation & discussion: young people talk about life in Hebron

Sunday, July 30 – Monday, July 31
RAMALLAH AREA, Jifna Guesthouse
Attend church services (Latin and Melkite Catholic, and Orthodox) in Taybeh
Lecture & discussion: the history of Ramallah, Birzeit, and Jifna
A Palestinian wedding enactment
Stories from young adults in Aboud and Taybeh

Tuesday, August 1 – Wednesday, August 2
JERICHO & DEAD SEA, Jericho Resort
Hiking and reflections at the Mount of Temptations
Meet with Christian young adults in Jericho
Workshop: What is our mission as Christians?
Swimming in the Dead Sea

Thursday, August 3 – Sunday, August 6
JERUSALEM, Maison D'Abraham
Tour with the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICHAD)
Presentation by Israeli peace organization, Breaking the Silence
Panel discussion on current Israel-Hizballah/Lebanon crisis
Workshop: What do we do now? networking, International Friends of Sabeel, and advocacy
Workshop: denominational history of the church
Closing worship service at the Garden of Gethsemani

No comments: