
After a most memorable worship, I returned Monday morning to my tasks in the
One instance, these lovely older women responded with delight and then proceeded to share with me that they too were both priests in their working days for the Anglican Church in
Another instance which was most memorable—and which still sticks in my mind to this day—was a group of three people, one man and two women. They appeared to be good friends and were in search of special food treats to celebrate the man’s 53rd birthday on the day following. Again, one of them spoke for the others to inquire whether or not I was the priest who celebrated communion at Sunday’s service. To which again with hesitation and a little blush of my cheeks, I replied humbly, “yes.” Then, each one offered a testimony about how communion that day meant so much to them. The man shared that he had grown up in the church, but drifted away. Thus he hadn’t partaken of communion because he never felt welcome. But yesterday he did. “Thank you for welcoming me and it’s my (first) communion in ## of years, and tomorrow I turn 53.” The woman (presumable his partner) to his right nodded her head in agreement.
The woman with light colored hair to his left responded next, saying that she grew up in a nominally catholic family. She had never really been to church and felt really awkward about this ‘cannibalistic’ sort of communion ritual that Christians did. Celebrating communion was a really strange thing for her. Yet, she felt welcomed in worship and was curious to experience communion. So, she came to the table.
PS. This photo is of the women I worked with in the shop: (L-R) Nelleke, Maj-Len, and Marna (in front). {Colleen, recognize the jersey?...Thanks!}

No comments:
Post a Comment