Friday, April 18, 2008

Red Strap-y Shoes

This poem was written just the other night.  I was invited out for drinks to celebrate one of my dear friend's birthdays.  We went to this place called "Tchiaovna" on Otago Street.  Its this great Tea house--my favourite is the Yogi Chai tea (yummy!).  Anyway, upon 5 minutes of my arrival and some of the others, this young lad stands up at a microphone and welcomes us all to "Poetry" night.  ARGH!!!  The seven of us girls looked at each other in utter dismay.  We had hoped to chat for a few hours, giggle for the same amount of time, and enjoy each other's company.  And we had all just ordered our teas & some of us ordered 'grub'--so we couldn't just leave...

Grin & bear it.  We remained and after 45 minutes of poetry being read to us, we were invited during a 15 minute intermission to participate in a competition.  To make a long hilarious story short, I didn't have any 'inspiration' for the competition.  But when the next set of reading started, I found something to write about--things I like & things I dislike.   So...hope you like it.

Jx

__________________________________________________

Red strappy, high-heeled shoes

Red roses and lipstick too

 

Orange running shoes

Orange juice and honey suckles too

 

Yellow leather hand bags

Yellow walls and daffodils

 

Green cotton duvet covers

Green grapes and dragonflies

 

Blue turquoise seas

Blue eyes and dragonflies

 

Violet hues of sunset skies

Violet Venetians and eye shadow sparkles

 

The colours of the rainbow—every hue

What would I do without you?

 

Clearly, Life without you would define dislike:

COLOURLESS

 

© Jamie D. Schmeling, 2008

written 16 April 2008 at Tchaiovna Tea House, Otago Street, Glasgow.

No comments: