Saturday, July 28, 2007

A Barcelona Holiday


This year, I decided to bite the bullet and go somewhere I've never been but that is also warm. So, Barcelona was the selected destination. Two of my friends, Hilary & Carol, were game to go along for some fun in the Sun! Hooray! Trips are always better with friends. :o)

We rented an apartment near the city centre and within 20 minutes walk from the beach--gee, I wonder whose idea that was? I've always enjoyed the sand and the sea, but never really lived close enough to it---lol, Montana is a far cry from the coast. (Although it is beautiful in its own right and still has a special place in my heart.) Michigan was lovely too...but the water there wasn't salty. And well, I never landed for long in California...

Anyway, we spent the first two days touring the city using the bus tour company. You can purchase a two-day ticket for just 23 Euros (about £15 or $30), and there are three different bus circuits for this one ticket. Plus, you can alight at any stop, and then catch a different bus from the same place you alighted--this gives you time to tour around the area. So, we did just that. We spent the first afternoon in Park Guell--which was designed by the famous architect: Gaudi. We saw the Olympic stadium, the museum of art, the sagrada famillia, the football (soccer) stadium, and all sorts of other places in between.

On the Sunday, we went to the Cathedral square, where folk were performing the traditional Catalan dances. Then we spent the rest of the day at the beach. :o)

Barcelona has lots of beautiful things to see and lots of lovely places to eat.

Needless to say, it was a much needed break and my sun-kissed skin was thanking me for it.

J

No comments: