Oh Christmas tree...
"Can we have a Christmas tree in the church?" Asked a woman from the church I am serving.
A very interesting question, indeed, I thought (and still think today). Numerous women and one man had gathered this afternoon for the annual Christmas Lunch of the "Friendship Circle". (The Friendship Circle used to be the Guild and before it morphed and changed it's name, it was known as the "Women's Guild".) Not all the women who were present that day actually attend the wee church, but the ones who do all looked at me when the question was asked. Every one's eyes were on me, and I felt like I was simultaneously on the hot seat and 'on the throne'-able to grant every one's wish. A strange place to be, unless you've committed a crime against humanity (in the first instance) or in the second instance you are either G-d or the Queen of England--or something like that. Anyway, I was interested in the subtext behind their questions and also the traditions they have for celebrating Christmas, so I asked:
"Why do you want a Christmas tree?"
In my own mind I was rather torn...you see, I love trees; especially lodge pole pine trees from my home state: Montana. Other folk would disagree with me about their suitableness for making the perfect Christmas tree--they are sort of like those you would find at Charlie Brown's house. But I love the smell, the colour, and the needles of this tree. Then, I find myself in a second 'conundrum', because I am an ecologist too, and I know these trees need certain environmental events in order to be productive--namely FIRE, which melts the wax sealant which keeps the seeds safely in their the pine cones. And then, I am reminded of some people I met in Orange City who said that pine trees/evergreens are phallic symbols from pagan rituals. And I wonder if Christmas Trees should even be in the church if that's what they represent. Yet, I am a member of the "Reformed" tradition, and I believe that God does not separate or make a distinction between what is "sacred" and what is "profane", what is "clean" and what is "unclean" (see Peter's dream in Acts), or even between what is "spiritual" and what is "unspiritual". So to quote an influential theologian, Abraham Joshua Heschel, "Either God made the earth and all that is in it, or God didn't." So we are called to redeem the earth... Does this mean symbols too? (yes I think it does) And still, if I honestly reflect back to the "First Christmas", you won't find a "Christmas tree" in the stable. So, why do we have them anyway?
So, I asked these folk: "Why do you want a Christmas tree?"
"Tradition!" She replied.
And I proceeded to ask each of them individually why they would put a Christmas tree in the church, and they all answered: "Tradition". This is very interesting. So I asked:
"Why is this your tradition? What does the Christmas Tree mean to you? What does it represent?"
After various answers, one woman quietly replied: "The evergreen [state] of the tree represents everlasting life, the lights on the tree remind us that Christ is the light of the world, the white bobbles represent purity, and the purple ones represent majesty."
With an insightful, redeeming answer like that, who could say no to their first query? Still, I wasn't satisfied about the manner that these decorations would be put up--only three of the ladies being involved. This was a dilemma for me (pastorally) because I felt it would be a meaningful time if others were invited to participate in decorating the church...this would help us think about preparing ourselves for the coming of the Christ child too. So, the ladies decided they would invite others and get together on the Saturday to decorate the church.
Still, I am interesting in the "need" these folk had to ask me for "permission". Yes, I am the acting minister there, but surely the decision about whether or not to have a Christmas tree isn't one which needs to be made or should be made by the minister alone? Would you agree? I believe the church is not a place for ministers only, it is the place of Christ. And this same Christ who took on human flesh and arrived on the earth--not in Hollywood or Royalty style--but in a stable with nothing prepared for his arrival--is the one who welcomes the people of the earth into the Church. He is the one who calls us to be HIS Body...this is the mystery of the Incarnation. Amen.
J.
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment