A few weeks ago, I was hurrying to catch the 19:42 train from Queen Street Station in Glasgow to Dundee in the Northeast. I was on my way to a 'belated' hallowed eve'n / birthday party for a friend of mine. When I left the office that friday evening, I had already decided that I wouldn't make the 18:42 train because I still had to finish 'sorting out' my costume for the party...it was to be 'fancy dress' after all.
Well, from my home to the train station is about 12 minutes on the subway and a 2 minute walk from the subway to the station. So, I needed to leave about 15 -20 minutes before the train departed---I still needed to buy my ticket. Well, I looked at the clock, and had a moment of panic and still wasn't ready to leave at 19:22. Not good. So like a whirlwind (or as best as I could in this wet climate) I stuffed the rest of my costume in my bag along with my toothbrush and umbrella....and ran out the door. Now, it is my habit these days to go the opposite direction from the subway--because I have been trying to walk to work more. And what do you know, but I went towards work instead of the subway...looking at my watch, I considered hopping on a bus...I would have to walk further, but might get there sooner than the subway...but at least the subway's schedule was consistent and more reliable. EEK! Time's ticking, and I am no closer to the train station. Plus, I encountered the neighbors just outside the flat...two more minutes later...by now, the only way I am going to catch this train is if I hail a taxi. So in search i went...too close i'm thinking. I finally find a taxi, jump in and request to be taken to Queen Street Station. Whew...a breath of relief. I am finally on my way....still in half of a costume by the way.
Well, after one stop light too many, I arrived at the station, one minute after the train doors had closed, and still early enough to watch the train pull away from the platform. Hmm...just my luck these days; too much dilly dallying around the flat i think. Well, I inquired when the next train was...20:42 the gate manager said. Well, at least the trains are reliable and consistent around here! So, now I had to decide: do I stay here for an hour, or phone a friend, or go home only to hurry back again and perhaps miss the next train, or do I just go home and stay home? Goodness what a dilemma. So I sent a text message to my friend, suggesting that I have dilly dallied too long and perhaps should just return home...and would make it up to my friend later. Only five minutes later, I received a phone call from my friend indicating that I would be in the dog house if I didn't catch the next train!
So decision made. Tickets purchased. Waiting commensing...
Ironically, part of my costume included these crazy stripe-y, knee high socks that one of my artsy friends gave me----ones I wouldn't dream of being seen in public wearing. Well...I must have been having a nightmare...because I was wearing them in public. EEK! And in the train station no less, where all sorts of folk are out on a Friday night in and out of Glasgow. (I really wished I wasn't wearing a skirt, but trousers or even a longer coat. )
I watched the time tick on while sitting in one of the chairs in the 'waiting' area of the station. Thinking about all the work I could or should be doing, I passed the time in another land...that is until a man approached me saying: "'Scuse me. Those are nice socks you're wearing...Could you spare a pound?" And for some reason, instead of offering him a pound or anything, I started a conversation with the man. He admitted to me that he had a heroin problem and asked if I knew any place that he might get some help because he really wanted to be 'free' of the addiction. Unfortunately, I didn't know any place that might help him, but I commended him for his honesty and said that would help him start. Then I asked him why he choose to ask me instead of someone else. He said I just looked nice. I told him I was a minister--"Really?" (i think I might have replied the same way, considering I was wearing a costume--or part of one...lol). Anyway, I did something I don't usually do and gave Mark the pound he asked for and encouraged him to seek help with his drug problem.
I am certain I will be forever changed from this encounter with him...
Rethinking the Gospel in action,
Jamie
Sunday, November 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment