


Last week, a new volunteer (Penny) and I went to the Island of Staffa. We journeyed with some of the guests who were staying at the Abbey. The ride in the boat was great! Penny and I sat on the back deck of the boat and some of teenagers from Southern California sat with us. We had a whole hour to take in the sites through the sea to the island---plenty of time to talk about faith, religion, science, creation and evolution---among other things, chocolate. Still, the journey will always be a memorable one of salt water splashing our faces and leaving my spectacles spotted. :o)
So, I hope you are wondering why I would take an adventure to this island. Well...it is a natural habitat for Puffins! Hurray! These beautiful birds are amazing creatures with vibrant yellow lips---whoever said 'lipstick color' could only be some shade of red, brown or pink has obviously not had the privilege of seeing these beautiful creatures. Anyway, while waiting on the northeasterly slope of the island, we pilgrims waited expectantly for the puffins to leave their place floating in the sea to join us. Meanwhile, the sea gulls soared overhead waiting to eat the puffins. (the puffins will come within a few feet of humans because they know it is safe and the sea gulls cannot eat them---they are protected...talk about food chains and predators...) Anyway, we were not disappointed. The puffins came. One of my favorite moments was when a male & female pair came and landed two feet from me. I was near their burrow. They landed, paused for a moment for us to take their pictures, and then the female ducked into their burrow to take the sardines she had caught to the baby puffin(s). More about the puffins later....
The other great reason to go to Staffa is the famous Fingal's Cave. I cannot remember the dimensions or anything of the cave, but the acoustics of it are amazing. Everyone is encouraged to journey inside the large cave and have a wee sing. :o)
Then as we were leaving the island, I had a chance to play in some tidal pools. Wow! The little creatures that I have studied in labs and textbooks for eight years are too beautiful in real life. Sponges, sea weed, anemones, limpets, snails and various other sea creatures in the tidal zone are amazing! Plus, their colors are so vivid! A great memory this trip is and will be.
:o)

No comments:
Post a Comment