


Tuesdays on the island are set aside to remember that we are people on a journey. And Iona is a place where pilgrims have intersected on their respective journeys through the ages. In fact, St. Columba left Ireland and landed on the Island of Iona in 563. He founded a Celtic monastery on the island, then during the middle ages, the monastery was the site of a Benedictine abbey. The abbey was in ruins but has since been renovated and is now an official site of Historic Scotland. (http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/properties_sites_detail.htm?propertyID=PL_160)
Anyway, the Iona Community offers two pilgrammage options: one on-road and one off-road. The pilgrammages take the guests around various historical markers and share their stories. (I have not yet been on a pilgrimage around the island yet...but hopefully soon). Instead of me venturing out, I was busy helping the guests pack their lunches and do my housekeeping chores. (being a housekeeper is pretty cool!--except for the dishpan hands perhaps...lol)
-----
Some of you may be familiar with St. John's Cross...well, on the island, you can take pictures of St. John's Cross, St. MacLean's, St. Martin's, St. Matthew's and one other which I cannot remember the name to...anyway, here are three of St. MacLean's Cross for your viewing pleasure. :o)

1 comment:
Hey Andy & Haeli!
Thanks for taking time to read my blog. I sure do miss you both!
"I love you, Haeli!"
Post a Comment